Home / Forums / Universal Design for Learning (UDL) / Foundations of Equity UDL Discussion

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Hilary Johnson

I found this assignment to be very helpful in guiding how I help students in my future classes. Being a counselor and not a teacher with the GED program, I don’t have as much hands-on time with my students. I was able to bring in different resources to my students and think outside the box about what learning strategies can help each individual student. I was also able to bring in an outside speaker from a local business to help talk to students about career skills that they can use now and in the future. That foundations of equity tool that was given with this final assignment was very helpful in breaking down the different UDL guidelines. I was able to look over each individual section and break down which areas I promoted well and try to come up with new ideas to work in the other areas. The laminated UDL guideline that was given to us is such a helpful resource and tool for future class discussion that I will be having. I have not been in this position very long and am still learning my way around, so this professional development was a good way to look at ways to engage all students in the future of my orientations. It is also a course that I will strongly encourage that my teachers take part in. While not all of the information in the course was easily transposed to my counselor role, I can definitely see the benefits of having my teachers take this professional development in the future.

Amy Elston

Hilary, I completely agree with you that the last tool which was used to reflect on our own use of UDL in our instruction was very helpful. We all know we can have room for growth, but taking a moment to reflect and review our instructional strategies is a great way to pinpoint specific area in which we can make improvements. It also allows us to take credit where credit is due. I think I am my worst critic and taking a moment to also look at what I do well is equally important.
    On another note, I love the that this training inspired you to bring in someone to present. I think that is so important to give students an opportunity to hear information from someone else, especially a live person not just a video.

Bonnie Juarez

Hi Hilary.
    The UDL Guidelines Chart was so beneficial. I too, looked at the guidelines after my activity was done and noticed I hit on various areas too. That was pretty neat to see. -Bonnie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Foundations of Equity UDL Discussion
Your information: